PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724, before receiving a permit. To see the entire code section click here.
To summarize this code:
1. Applicants must show proper identification.
2. Applicants must apply for a permit to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.
3. Applicants must have completed required training.
4. Applicants will pay required fee at the time the permit is picked up. Carry permits are $50 (cash only) for new permits and $25 (cash only) for renewals. The Woodbury County Sheriff's Office provides permits on hard plastic ID cards for an additional $20 (cash only) charge to cover the cost of the card. Purchase permits are $10 (cash only).
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: (Read Carefully)
1. Download, print and fill out the appropriate application listed below. Fill in all blanks thoroughly. Females, include your maiden name and any other married names you may have used. Failure to complete the form will result in termination of the application process.
2. Attach a legible copy of your firearms training certification for carry permits only.
3. Attach a legible copy of your Iowa Driver's License or Iowa Non-Driver Identification. The address on the DL or Non-Driver ID must have your current address.
4. MAIL TO:
Woodbury County Sheriff's Office
P. O. Box 3715
Sioux City, Iowa 51102
Attn: Gun Permit Division
Please allow ten (10) days for puchase permits to process and thirty (30) days for carry permits to process. The Woodbury County Sheriff's Office will notify the carry permit applicants when the application process is completed and the permit is available for pick-up. From the date of notification, you have thirty (30) days to pick-up the permit from the Sheriff's Office. Over thirty (30) days and you will be required to make a new application and incur additional processing costs.
WARNING: Please do not call the office to check on the status of your application. As mentioned above, you will be notified when the application process is complete and the permit is ready to be picked up. Calling will only slow the process.
WARNING: If any portion of the State of Iowa applications for carry or purchase are incorrectly filled out or left blank, the process will be terminated and the applicant will be required to reapply. This will include any missing or incorrect information, to include, legible copies of training certificates and identification.
A professional carry permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application, along with a letter on company letterhead stating they are employed with that company and requests the individual to carry a weapon while on duty. Professional carry permits are not offered on the hard plastic ID card.
When making application for a carry permit, it is not necessary to make application for a purchase permit. The carry permit acts as the purchase permit.
PLEASE DO NOT WALK INTO THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE OR CALL FOR APPLICATIONS.
SEE BELOW FOR THE APPROPRIATE APPLICATION.